Delayne Y. Johnson, PhD
dejohnson [at] desu.edu
PhD. Mathematics Education, University of Delaware (2009)
M.A. Education, University of Delaware (2005)
M.S. Mathematics Education, Towson University (2001)
B.S. Mathematics, University of Maryland Baltimore County (1997)
Post-Graduate Certificate, Academic Leadership, The Chicago School of Professional Psychology (2016)
As a Mathematics Educator, my research interests focus on exploring teaching practices that promote mathematics learning for all students, with emphasis on making mathematics accessible to students who have been historically underserved in mathematics. In my research I also examine issues of culture and power in mathematics teaching and learning, with particular attention to the intersections of mathematics learning and socialization, identity construction, race and equity.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- Association of Mathematics Teacher Educators (AMTE)
- Mathematical Association of America (MAA)
- National Association for Multicultural Education (NAME)
Publications and Presentations (selected)
- Johnson, D. and Tanzy, M. (2017) Problem-solving in Mathematics Class Before Instruction. Engaging Learners in the 21st Century Conference, Mercer County Community College, West Windsor, New Jersey.
- Johnson, D. (2015, April) Examining the Mathematics Identities of African American Male Pre-service Teachers, National Council for Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Annual Meeting, Boston, MA.
- Green, S., Phelps, C., Beyers, J., Johnson, D., Siemanski, E. (2011). Developing prospective elementary teachers’ abilities to identify evidence of students’ mathematical achievement. Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education, 14(1), 67-87.
- Johnson, D. (2010). Toward an equity pedagogy for school mathematics: An investigation of pre-service teachers’ conceptions. The Teacher Education Journal of South Carolina, 10(1), 60-66.
Recent Courses Taught:
- MTSC 403 Methods of Teaching Secondary Mathematics
- MTSC 121 College Algebra
- MTSC 205 Math for Teachers III
- MTSC 203 College Geometry
- MTSC 106/202 Math for Teachers II
- MTSC 105/201 Math for Teachers I
- Director, TEAL Fellows Program