Nicola D. Edwards, PhD
ndedwards [at] desu.edu
PhD. Curriculum and Instructions, Mathematics Education Concentration, University of Delaware (2007)
M.S. Mathematics, University of Delaware (1999)
B.A. Mathematics, Binghamton University (1995)
As a Mathematics Education faculty member, my current research focuses on teaching to develop mathematical proficiencies in K-12 pre-service teachers, especially students from underrepresented and underprepared groups. In particular, I examine the impact of content and methods courses on pre-service teachers’ perception of effective teaching practices to promote mathematical literacy.
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM)
- National Association of Mathematicians (NAM)
Publications & Presentations:
- Edwards, N. D. (February 21-22, 2018). Cyber Infused Mathematics Initiative: Mathematics Teaching Institute. Poster presented for the 2018 HBCU-UP Crest PI/PD Meeting, Washington DC.
- Edwards, N. D. (July 19-21, 2017). Problem-Based Learning for Future Teachers, Delaware State University Robert Noyce Teaching Scholarship Program. Poster presented for the Noyce Summit 2017, Washington, DC.
- Edwards, N. D. & Johnson, D. (2017) Using Tasks that Support Access and Rigor. Presentation for the Putting Principles into Action Math Equity Conference, Delaware Mathematics Coalition and Delaware State University, Dover, Delaware.
- Edwards-Omolewa, N. D. (2011). Gender differences in elementary school children’s strategy use and strategy preferences on multidigit addition and subtraction story problems. Investigations in Mathematics Learning, 3(3), 1-25.
Honors & Awards
- NSF HBCU, “Targeted Infusion: Cyber Infused Mathematics Initiative”, PI, 2015-2018.
- NSF Noyce Teacher Scholarship, “Delaware State University Scholarship for Teachers in Mathematics and Science”, PI, 2012-2017.
- College of Mathematics, Natural Sciences & Technology Teaching Excellence Award 2014
- Delaware State University Faculty Excellence Award in Teaching 2011
- MTSC 403 Methods of Teaching Secondary Mathematics
- MTSC 241 Elementary Statistics
- MTSC 225 Calculus for Business and Social Sciences
- MTSC 213 Discrete Math
- MTSC 205 Math for Teachers III
- MTSC 125 Finite Math
- MTSC 122 Trigonometry
- MTSC 121 College Algebra
- MTSC 106/202 Math for Teachers II
- MTSC 105/201 Math for Teachers I