- All entering freshmen and transfer students who intend to major in music must complete the following in addition to meeting Delaware State University’s admission requirements:
- Students entering the BA in Music and BA in Music Education programs must successfully complete an audition in their principal performance area, either instrumental or vocal, as well as complete a personal interview. If the student is unable to attend a live audition on campus, a video recording may be permitted on a case-by-case basis. See audition requirements below.
- Students entering the BA in Music Industry program must complete a personal interview where they will show examples of their work.
- All entering students must complete diagnostic examinations in piano and music theory. These examinations are to determine your course placement.
- Applicants who do not fully meet the entrance requirements may be admitted conditionally at the discretion of the music faculty.
For questions regarding the entrance requirements or to set up an audition, contact fgazda [at] desu.edu (Dr. Frank Gazda).
Perform two vocal selections of contrasting character. If you have one, bring a repertoire list at the time of the audition. Select repertoire that best demonstrates your vocal range, quality and musicality. Please do not bring choral music to perform, unless you are singing a solo from a larger work. An accompanist will be provided.
WOODWIND AND BRASS
Prospective students should perform two or three selections in contrasting styles from solo literature or études. These selections should demonstrate both expressive and technical dimensions of the student’s playing. Scales and sight-reading may also be asked.
Prospective students will be asked to perform snare drum rudiments, one snare drum solo or etude - rudimental OR concert, and one 2-Mallet or 4-Mallet keyboard work. Scales and sight-reading may also be asked.
Prospective students should perform two piano solo works in contrasting style from traditional piano repertoire. Examples:
- Any work of Bach.
- Any movement from sonata by Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven or Schubert.
- Any work by composers in Romantic, Impressionist, or 20th Century periods.
Scales and sight-reading may also be asked.
Students may qualify for scholarship money for performing in the university band or choir. Interested students must contact the respective ensemble directors to make arrangements for a scholarship audition.
- Band Scholarship inquiries: hbullock [at] desu.edu (Dr. Harvey Bullock)
- Choir Scholarship inquiries: dthompson [at] desu.edu (Dr. Derrick Thompson)
Additionally, there are significant amounts of money available through a wide variety of DSU scholarships. Contact faid [at] desu.edu (financial aid) to see if you qualify.